About Me

Lee Creek, North Shuswap near Chase, B.C, Canada
We went full-time Rving in October of 2005! We retired from full time to part-time as of the end of 2015. Our present "small but comfortable" Wagon is a 2008 Camper trailer(TravelAir Rustler), pulled by a 2008 Dodge Dakota, 4X4.l. Our home base is a resort Park, in Oliver, British-Columbia, Canada. I retired in 2005 and my Life Companion, Valerie, retired October 1, 2006 from nursing. We invite you to follow and share our new adventures and mishaps. Life is but an adventure full of dreams yet to be fulfilled!

Sunday, February 16, 2014

February 15, 2014; Last day in Loreto and visit to an old Mission

FEB  15, Saturday; visit to a local Mission
13*C @ 6am; 28*C in pm

We got woken up around 5:30 am by local people getting their boat around 5:30 am and going fishing.  Storage shed are next to us!!!  We left at 10 am and rode with Ed and Judy in his truck as Sharon wasn’t feeling good and decided to stay home.  We went to visit an old Mission still standing from the1700’s.  The road up was tortuous and reminded me of our drive through the “Devil’s Spine” a few back when we drove from Texas to Mazatlan.  We went over the Giganti Mtns and into the West side where it flatten out into a small valley.  The road had a lot of repairs going on where rock slides and flood water destroyed bridges, culverts and washed out the road in many places, otherwise it was paved all the way. 

The Mission is the oldest one in the Baja that is still standing with all its original stone walls.  Everything inside was also still original including the Altars.  The story goes that Jesuit father Francisco Piccolo (who founded the Mission) came here in the late 1600’s to convert the local Indians and the Mission was built in the mid 1700’s by Father Miguel de Barco.  They came up the Valley from the Pacific Coast.  The village finally got power in 2010.  We had lunch in the only restaurant in the village, run by the family; very informal.  The food was good and so was the beer then we drove back down.  We arrived back at 1:30 pm.  I filled the water tank then it was time for HH.  Dinner was a light one as we were still full from the lunch. 
Tomorrow, we head to Santispac beach

No comments: