About Me

Lee Creek, North Shuswap near Chase, B.C, Canada
We went full-time Rving in October of 2005! We retired from full time to part-time as of the end of 2015. Our present "small but comfortable" Wagon is a 2008 Camper trailer(TravelAir Rustler), pulled by a 2008 Dodge Dakota, 4X4.l. Our home is now a Gated Community Park, in Oliver, British-Columbia, Canada. I retired in 2005 and my Life Companion, Valerie, retired October 1, 2006 from nursing. We invite you to follow and share our new adventures and mishaps. Life is but an adventure full of dreams yet to be fulfilled!

Friday, April 05, 2013

April 1 to 5, 2013; Indio back to Desert Hot Springs via Mexico

2013, APRIL  1, Monday, Indian Waters Resort, Indio, CA
It was quite windy overnight and still is this morning; the forecast is more heat and sunshine!  We went shopping to Target and Winco then came home and put everything away.  I was searching the Net and found a couple of vehicles to pull behind our MH but they didn’t pan out.  We came home, had HH then as we were going in, I saw our neighbor across the way was outside beside his BEAVER MH so I walked over and we chatted.  I found out he had seen ours at Thousand Trails and thought it was a really nice one.  He invited me inside his, a 2006 Beaver, and was much like ours except for a couple of changes.  He gave me some advice on McMahon as he also bought his there.  Val came over and we chatted for a while then came home and had dinner.  I called my bank, Registrar of Imported Vehicles and the Finance Manager at McMahon Dealership.  I hate this waiting game!!!  By the way, pictures of our rig can be seen at
http://www.mcmahonrv.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=02760431X4K2K2013J11I42I01JAMQ6990R0&veh=3091573

 
APR.  2, Tuesday,
We heard from our finance broker this morning; it looks like it will be at least 2 weeks before everything is finalized.  Apparently it cannot be done via fax but everything has to be courier.  Well we were originally planning on a departure around the 12th so it won’t be much of a difference...  I just HATE this waiting around!!!  We went to visit Audrey at Catalina Resort and Dave & Louise at Desert Pools.  We took Audrey for lunch at a small restaurant her and Louise found; the food was quite good and so were the prices.  After dropping Audrey, we drove back to Palm Desert and checked out an auto mall but nothing of interest.  I fuelled @ $4.19 then we came home, had a drink then it was time for dinner.

 
APR  3, Wednesday, to Mexico than to Desert Hot Springs, CA
We left at 8:25 AM, took 48th street to Hwy 86 then south to I-8.  This is a 4 lanes flat road and desert like scenery with the Salton Sea on our left.  There is now a by-passed for Brawley which is really nice as we miss all the lights and narrow streets.  We got on I-8 east to Hwy 7 which took us to the border.  This is the main exit and return way to go to Puerto Penasco or San Felipe for people coming from the west or north of California.  Anyway, the crossing into Mexico was uneventful and we returned our rig’s permit.  Be warned that there is very little English spoken here!  To return to the US border, we had to drive to the main highway, turn right and go down about a half mile to a turnaround then we came back and made a stop as there was a loooooonnnnng line-up ( we learned later that this was due to Spring Break and a holiday in Mexico).  Anyway, it took us over an hour to cross.  We were searched by Army Personnel then again at the Border, we had to go through an X-Ray machine.  Finally we were back on Hwy 7, we stopped for lunch and fuel @ $3.99.  Yes, I couldn’t believe it either!!!  We headed out and back on I-8 then Hwy 86 north to Desert Hot Springs.

I don’t know what it is about all these bad lucks I have lately but as we were driving north on a very hot day (110*F), I had a frigging BLOW-OUT on a tire I bought last spring in Drummond’Ville.  It caused a lot of damage on the wheel well and part of the rear slide.  I got the tire changed as again, someone stopped to help just as I was finishing.  We continued on with our new spare TOYO tire and the shattered one in the back of the truck.  I had tried to call AAA only to find that both our cells were out of time!!  Grrrrrr!  We stopped in Indio to buy   more time on my cell then finally arrived at Desert Pool around 6 PM.  We set up and were having dinner when Audrey and Louise arrived from town.  We chatted for a while then Aud took Louise home and came back for a longer visit.  I had a shower before hitting the sack at 10 PM.
WHAT A DAY!!!  Glad it’s OVER!

We travelled 238 miles (385 Km) in 5hrs and 25 minutes @ an average 44 MPH.
N  33* 55.381’
W 116* 26.055’
Alt 1024 ft

 
APR  4, Thursday, Dealing with the damages
I called my insurance first thing this morning to have the damages repaired on the trailer and had to send her pictures of the damages including the tire.  We picked up Audrey and drove to McMahon RV to show her the MH and also to talk to the owners about the accident.  I worried for nothing as they were not upset at all, just took it all in stride.  We talked to a young man who will do some minor details and repair on the Unit then we talked to the financial manager and signed our life away.  I called the Border Customs and found out I have to have a letter of Compliance from Ford so will do that tomorrow.  He also wanted pictures of the registration tags on the both rigs so I did that later and e-mailed them to him.  Audrey is quite impressed with “The BEAVER”.  We left the RV place and went to a local restaurant/bar and had a couple beers and lunch then came back to Catalina, dropped off Audrey and came home.  Now the fun begins: packing and taking everything down from the walls. 
It is very windy at the present time and HOT!  The A/C never stopped all day!

 
APR  5, Friday, stuff
I have been searching for a trailer to buy to take back and no luck so far; my other option is to rent a U-Haul for the kayaks, bikes and extra stuff, which I am seriously considering.  I called Ford for a letter of compliance and they transferred me to a Kamloops dealership.  I spoke to someone there only to find out it will take a couple weeks to get the letter!!?  I asked them to see if they can speed up the process.  Audrey was over and we walked to the office to fax a paper for her then we went for breakfast in DHS.  She brought her own vehicle so that we could go shopping for boxes while she went home.  We also found storage for $30/month with the seventh month for free.  I called Kamloops Ford to find more about the process only to be told it would take 2-3 weeks to get the letter; absolutely unbelievable!!!  I called McMahon RV to advise them and we are waiting for a response from them.  I went to DHS and got a spare tire for the trailer.  While I was gone, Val did some packing, getting ready for the transfer. 
We had HH with Louise and Dave; while there, I got a call from McMahon RV that all was cool and we would deal with it on Tuesday.  We all went out for dinner with them at a local pub then called it a night!

No comments: