About Me

Lee Creek, North Shuswap near Chase, B.C, Canada
We went full-time Rving in October of 2005! We retired from full time to part-time as of the end of 2015. Our present "small but comfortable" Wagon is a 2008 Camper trailer(TravelAir Rustler), pulled by a 2008 Dodge Dakota, 4X4.l. Our home is now a Gated Community Park, in Oliver, British-Columbia, Canada. I retired in 2005 and my Life Companion, Valerie, retired October 1, 2006 from nursing. We invite you to follow and share our new adventures and mishaps. Life is but an adventure full of dreams yet to be fulfilled!

Friday, November 23, 2012

November 18 to 23, 2012, Donna Texas

NOV  18, Sunday, Donna Texas
Cloudy with sunny period and very warm...it got to 78*F (24*C)!  First thing this morning, after taking Tucker for his morning constitution, I went into Donna and had the truck washed for $15, can’t beat it!  They did a great job and even shined the tires and all the chrome.  The garage next door was advertising brakes re & re for real cheap and it so happened that the owner was there so after talking with him I made an appointment for tomorrow morning.  My brakes have been whining when I put them on and I figured it was time since the last time was January 29.  I came home and found Val in the library working on a puzzle so I dragged her away to make us lunch; aren’t I thoughtful?  In the afternoon, she went for a walk around the Park and I put the BBQ out, set up the table and the satellite.  Val gave me a hand with the signal when she got back so now we have Canadian channels.  We had a roast dinner then watched some good Canadian programming

 
NOV  19, Monday
Weather:  About the same as yesterday except a bit warmer!  It’s supposed to be the same all week with temperature reaching 85*F (28*) with some rain by Wednesday but in these parts of the country, rain means maybe a half hour of drizzle if you are lucky!
I took the truck out to have the brakes re & re and came home 2.5 hrs later, all done!  I made a bunch of calls to the bank, WHR, and a guy to wash BEAR.  We then went to Weslaco shopping at the OUTLETS and ended up buying a pair of hiking boots for me and two nice cool (as in cooler rather than warm) golf shirts and Val bought 2 pairs of sandals and some health pills.  We stopped at a couple of RV places to look at trailers then came home, had a drink, dinner and watched the tube.

 
NOV  20, Tuesday,
Already 70*F at 8 AM!  I took the truck to a tranny repair shop to get the transmission stick shift on the steering column fix as it has been acting up lately and is so loose that I can’t get it down to first.  They drove me back and then I had an outfit come out and wash “BEAR” and the front waxed for $80.  Val did the laundry while all this was going on.  I also got the hitch receiver welded solid so that there will be no more movement/bouncing of the bikes while travelling; that was $20.  Val found about a whole load of laundry stained by oil from the washing machine.  We complained to the office and we got hold of the machine owners as the machines are leased and they will reimburse us the cost of all the clothing we lost; approx. $220.00 worth.  That included a new shirt I had just bought yesterday!  The BEAST finally came home and $120 later and a solid & fix gear shift.  We went to Walmart to pick up some items Val needs for Thanks-giving dinner as we are part of a group of 12 people.  The Resort is providing the turkey and the hall but each group has to cook and provide varied dishes, so Val was assigned to make a vegetable dish. 

 
NOV  21, Wednesday, Nuevo Progresso, Mexico
Today we decided to go to Nuevo Progresso in Mexico to investigate dentists and get prescription sunglasses for me.  We parked at the border, paid $2.00 for the day and walked across the International Bridge after having to pay .50 cents there and .25 cents back, as it is a toll bridge for both pedestrians and autos.  As we crossed into Mexico and while still on the bridge, we heard and saw people below begging for money; pretty sad!  On the other side, the town is laid out so that the main street is full of shops but also mainly dentist, hundreds of them!  I found a place for my glasses and got a decent pair for $80 and that included tint, UV protection and unbreakable glass.  From here, we went to investigate some dentist.  The first one had a good price and Val seemed happy so we went to a second one for more estimate.  She went in for an exam and ended up getting a whole package so we spent the whole afternoon there.  She said afterwards that she really liked the guy and his answers and good vibes from the place.  She is usually up on that so I accepted it.  The upper side of it was the dentist paid for all the beer or drinks we wanted.  His office was situated in a courtyard near the bridge with a bar set up for tourist as it was just at the entrance to the USA Customs and as part of his service, he paid for all the drinks we wanted to take.  Unfortunately, we had to drive home so we didn’t take as many as we wanted...Did he plan that or what!???  Anyway, we got home around 5 pm after crossing and paying an extra $4 on a 40 oz bottle of Bourbon I bought in Mexico for $18.  The line up was minimal.  After dinner, we watched “Survivors” then it was early to bed.  We have to go back on Monday for Val’s stuff and I want to get my teeth cleaned too.

 
NOV  22, Thursday, Happy Thanksgiving USA
Sunny and warm again, not as many clouds in the sky today!  This was a relaxing day as everything is closed due to the holiday.  We read, I fixed a couple of minor things in the rig and Val did the green beans casserole for the dinner.  At 1:30 pm, we walked to the club house and at 2 pm, we had our Thanks-Giving dinner.  There were 12 people at our table out of 18 and we had quite a spread.  Each table group had another table where every dish that each group brought were laid out and served from.  I have to say it was delicious and our group was very friendly and talkative.  One couple had were from Nebraska and made a delicious mashed squash which they had picked from their home garden before coming down.  For dessert, there was pumpkin pie and pecan pie of which I had a small piece...YUM, YUM!!!
By 3:30, everything was over, the hall pretty well all cleaned and everyone went their own ways.  We came home and I watched football for the rest of the afternoon and Val some movie on the other TV.  The sky has clouded over but it still very warm...86*F

 
NOV  23, Black Friday
It was cloudy and windy (light) all day; actually we had a few drops in the afternoon but nothing to run for.  We went to Pharr to shop for “Black Friday” which was a nightmare in terms of traffic and people.  We stopped at Costco for a couple items and bought a Samsung tablet which was on sale.  We then went to Best Buy where I bought an electronic game and Val pulled me out before I did anymore damage.  The crowd in there was unbelievable, wall to wall and most were Hispanic.  A lot of the cars in the parking lot were from Mexico.  We had lunch at Red Robin then I stopped at Radio Shack to get a part for my lamp but didn’t have any success.  We came home to find our mail had arrived so I went through that.  We had dinner and relaxed.  It is a pleasant evening outside.

No comments: