About Me

Lee Creek, North Shuswap near Chase, B.C, Canada
We went full-time Rving in October of 2005! We retired from full time to part-time as of the end of 2015. Our present "small but comfortable" Wagon is a 2008 Camper trailer(TravelAir Rustler), pulled by a 2008 Dodge Dakota, 4X4.l. Our home base is a resort Park, in Oliver, British-Columbia, Canada. I retired in 2005 and my Life Companion, Valerie, retired October 1, 2006 from nursing. We invite you to follow and share our new adventures and mishaps. Life is but an adventure full of dreams yet to be fulfilled!

Sunday, November 17, 2013

November 14 to 16, 2013; San Felipe, Baja and a race

NOV  14, Thursday; More exploring
We had a rig pull in beside us yesterday!  It was so wide, it had a hard time fitting in, and I took a picture!  That’s Mexico; if they fit and have money, they will pack them in!!!  We have just a slight breeze this morning and already it is 69*F at 7 am.

We went for a drive to Puertecitos, about 47 miles (76km) from San Felipe.  There wasn’t much there, actually it was very depressed and run down but there was a beautiful and protected Bay which would be great for kayaking.  We had lunch here and a margarita that was so strong on tequila that neither one of us could finish them.  We continued south towards Punta Bufeo, 32 miles further.  We only did a portion of it and decided to turn around as we ran out of time.  The road from Puertecitos is brand new and according to the Churche’s book, it is paved to the Bay and maybe beyond but we’ll never know for sure.
On the way back, we search and found some geo-caches.  On our return, we got together with Rudiger and Charlotte whom arrived earlier today.  They are a day early.  At 6 pm, we decided to go out for dinner and they took us to their favorite place for tacos and they looked good but we had hamburger and fries (very good).  We came home, had a nightcap then called it a night.

NOV  15, Friday; 1000 miles Baja Races.
There are three major races in the Baja: 250, 500 and 1000 Miles.  It is ALL cross country racing for bikes and big trucks especially equipped for the race.  It is extremely rugged and dangerous and takes place overnight.  It begins in Ensenada and the one today forms a loop which returns to Ensenada (new from what we are told).  The race began last night at 10 pm and runs near here.  The bikers went through around 3-4 am this morning and the big trucks are supposed to go by around 1-2 pm hence all the rigs and fancy bikes we’ve been seeing here in the Park, which are relays for some of the drivers as it is very gruesome on the bodies.  The rig beside us is from Vancouver BC and there is an outfit from Kamloops too. So today, guess what our plans are!?
Well, we had our first mishap on the Motorhome this morning.  The guy from Kamloops was leaving and as he went around us, he damaged our window awning on the driver side.  He made arrangement with Kiki to have it fix and pay for it and he will pay Kiki back when he returns in January so Kiki will call someone in on Monday.  Val decided to clean house this morning; vacuum and wash the floor while I shake the rugs, filled the tank and got our cooler out. 
Afterwards, we drove to the desert and watched the racers zoomed by at anywhere from 50 to 80 mph.  It was quite exhilarating and fun.  The dust was horrendous!  We watched for a couple hours and saw a dozen of them come by.  The place was full of people and it is quite amazing how they took chances standing on or near the track where the race was taking place.  There was a cop present but he wasn’t doing anything about it.  We watched for a couple hours, took a few pictures and a movie then came home.  Now we can say we actually saw a part of the “Baja Race”.  The next one is in March and starts from here and ends here (250 miles Race)

We had HH with Rudiger and Charlotte and neighbour Pete joined us.  New people came in; they are from South Africa exploring North America in a van camper.  Dinner was BBQ steaks and salad for us.  Val called McKinley on Skype to wish her a Happy Birthday.

NOV  16, Saturday, Market Day!
We were up by 6 am and on the road by 7!!!  We followed Rudiger and Charlotte to a local outdoor market about 8 miles from here.  It wasn’t that big nor that impressive but we did find and bought 1 kilo of big, fresh shrimps for 160 pesos and some vegetable.  We had a burrito and juice for a snack then we left.  R & C went back to town as Rudiger had to make an appointment for a dentist and we went to do our laundry at a place just down the road.  Afterwards, we checked out a couple of RV places (none that appealed us and expensive) then came back to town.  We put everything away then I had a snooze, 6 am was a bit too early.  HH with Rudiger and Charlotte then a dinner of shrimps and rice then we watched a couple of movies on the tube

No comments: