About Me

Lee Creek, North Shuswap near Chase, B.C, Canada
We went full-time Rving in October of 2005! We retired from full time to part-time as of the end of 2015. Our present "small but comfortable" Wagon is a 2008 Camper trailer(TravelAir Rustler), pulled by a 2008 Dodge Dakota, 4X4.l. Our home base is a resort Park, in Oliver, British-Columbia, Canada. I retired in 2005 and my Life Companion, Valerie, retired October 1, 2006 from nursing. We invite you to follow and share our new adventures and mishaps. Life is but an adventure full of dreams yet to be fulfilled!

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

November 11 to 13, 2013; New brake system and onwards to San Felipe, MX

NOV  11, Monday; New brake system for the Jeep
We were up and ready by 7:45 am!  We headed out to Southwest Enterprises in Yuma with the Beaver and the Jeep (Val drove the Jeep) to have the SMI Air Force Air Brake System installed .  This will enable the Jeep to have brakes when I apply the brakes on the motorhome.  We left the MH there and while they worked on it, we went to meet the Kirkby’s at MC Donald at the Foothills.  Val had forgotten her lipstick at their place yesterday so it was a good thing they came to town.  It was a quick visit as they had a bunch of shopping to do and we had to head back to the shop to get the Jeep worked on.  We were finally out of there by 2 pm, went to gas up the Jeep at $3.09/gallon + a quart of oil and diesel for the MH @ $3.62/gallon.  Very good prices considering the Shell station near Pilot Knob Resort is at $4.35/gallon for diesel.  Now we are finally all done and ready to head for San Felipe tomorrow.  It is very hot outside and we have the A/C working full time.  We watched the second DVD on “Pillars of the Earth”

NOV  12, Tuesday; To San Felipe, MX
Up by 7 am and on the road by 9 after dumping.  We headed west on I-8 then south-west on Hwy 98 to Calexico.  We stopped here for some milk and butter then headed for the Border.  It was tight and  we made it to the wrong lane of course so, after trying to back-up, they allowed us to come through.  We had a courteous search then were on our way.  Driving through Mexicali, which is a very big city, was interesting but not too hard.  We did, however, take one wrong turn but were quickly back on track, Hwy 5 south! 
The highway was excellent and wide but we there was some bridge replacement along the way, 5 to be exact, and of course, the detours were rough so we had to drive through them at no more than 10 mph but considering the work being done, it was worthwhile.  The scenery was very much desert like, arid, desolate and lots of salt fields.  At one point, we were over 15 feet below sea level and it was hot. 
We stopped for lunch at “La Ventara”, a road side rest stop with a small restaurant but we had our own lunch.  We started the generator to get some A/C.  At the junction of Hwy 3 and 5, we had to stop for a Military check.  The kids was polite, looked around inside and let us go.  We finally arrived in San Felipe and after making a wrong turn, even with a good map given to us by Rudiger, we finally arrived at our camp...KIKI Campground, a very nice but very tight campground.  They found us a spot and we settled in but this place is NOT for big rigs.  We were here by 2 PM local time (we gained an hour and are now back on Pacific Time), and paid for a month $400 Cdn with full hook ups.  We even have our own “Margarita deck”, a raised deck! (See pictures in PICASA LINK).  We met a few of the locals then it was time to turn in.  We have WIFI and Satellite reception.  It was quite windy when we arrived but not, at 7 pm, it is just a small breeze.

We drove 200 miles in 4.5 hrs @ an average 40 mph
N  31* 02.067’
W 114* 49.681’
Alt: 10 feet

NOV  13, Wednesday; San Felipe
I was up at 6 am under very, very warm temperature (80*F).  Even Tucker is having a tough time with this heat but it’s supposed to cool off by the week-end; sure hope so!  The sun came up around 6:30 am (PT).  I should mention that our water system is working really great and I am happy not to have to worry about the water down here anymore!
We went exploring around town (forgot camera) and looked at the campgrounds in the area.  Kiki is still the best of them all so far.  We found the “Malecon” and took a walk around and had lunch at a local bar; food was good and so was the beer!  We came home and relaxed.  It is hot and we have the A/C on full blast but we sat outside under a nice breeze.  The “1000 KM Baja Race” is on this week-end, actually starting tomorrow, a huge economical boost for the area and the Park is filling up quickly with bikers and rigs equipped for support.  I took a few pictures around the Park and will post them soon.
For dinner, we had the left over from our lunch and a salad.  We met new neighbours and I set up our hammock (gift from Joanne and John) but didn’t get to try it out yet.  Tucker got a bath tonight, he was filthy from the sand around here.

1 comment:

Denis and Sandy Letendre said...

I'm glad to hear your RO system is working well for you. We're still using our fresh water tank water for cooking and drinking and it's starting to get low. Sounds like you had a bit of adventure getting there with the detours and road construction but happy to hear you're now all settled in. Have FUN
Do have cell phone service? This seems to be an AT&T area not Verizon