About Me

Lee Creek, North Shuswap near Chase, B.C, Canada
We went full-time Rving in October of 2005! We retired from full time to part-time as of the end of 2015. Our present "small but comfortable" Wagon is a 2008 Camper trailer(TravelAir Rustler), pulled by a 2008 Dodge Dakota, 4X4.l. Our home base is a resort Park, in Oliver, British-Columbia, Canada. I retired in 2005 and my Life Companion, Valerie, retired October 1, 2006 from nursing. We invite you to follow and share our new adventures and mishaps. Life is but an adventure full of dreams yet to be fulfilled!

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

January 15 to 20, 2009, Mazatlan to San Blas

JAN 15, Thursday, Mazatlan

A lazy and warm morning, we finally got going around by noon. We went for a walk on the beach with Tucker. There are a lot of people walking about, mostly tourist. We met a couple from Sand Point, Idaho, Cliff and Carol. We walked with them and chatted and on the return, we stopped for a cerveza. Very nice and friendly couple. They flew down for a week only and are staying in a time share. Tucker enjoyed his Taco!
We came home and had fish for dinner. It is war, but comfortable. It JAN 16, Friday, last day in Mazatlan

We went to MEGA shopping for groceries. This store is actually cheaper than WalMart. Came home and unloaded the groceries than read for a while. At the end of the day, I packed pretty well everything and loaded the bikes.
Afterwards, we went for a walk along the strip. Being Friday night, there was lots of music being played. We watched an artist for a while painting scene with just sparay paint and strips of papers, no brush. Quite amazing and talented. Tucker also enjoyed this long walk.

JAN 17, Saturday, to San Blas

We left around 9 a.m. and as we drove out of town, I took the wrong turn and ended up doing a long detour. Finally, we got on Hwy 15 libre and headed south. We went through a military check point but weren’t stopped. South of Rosamorada, we stopped for lunch and fuel, 66.849 litres.
As we drove further south, the vegetation became thicker, lushier and we saw lot of fruit trees and banana palm. We are in the real tropical south now. We turned onto Hwy 54 to San Blas and again missed our turn and ended up in San Blas which we were told NOT to do. We turned around in a Pemex and found our turn along the coast, Hwy 012. Eight miles later, we arrived at our destination, PLAYA AMOR RV Park, south of ATICAMA. Our friends, the Kirkby’s, are here and met us with open arms. We haven’t seen them for over a year so it was a good reunion.

We set up in lot #14, paid 4149 pesos (approx $370 cdn) for 4 weeks and had a beer to celebrate. It is very warm and humid but there is a breeze off the ocean which is right across from us. In the evening, we went for pizza with almost everyone at a local restaurant near by. The pizza was good and cheap…$14 for that and 4 beers! We came home and went to bed.

We travelled 327 KM in 6.5 hours at an average speed of 38 MPH
N 21* 28’ 29”
W 105* 11’ 46”
Alt 30 feet

JAN 18, Sunday, in San Blas

We got up to a beautiful sunshine and warm weather already at 7 a.m. Val did her Tai-Chi and Yoga then we went back to the hotel for WIFI and internet connection. We skyped (internet phone) Gilles and wish him happy 50th birthday.
In the afternoon we went for a swim in the ocean, The water is perfect and the beach is sandy and is shallow for a distance. At 5 p.m. we met with the group at the grassy knoll (see pictures) for happy hour. This is to become our nightly ritual. There are approx 20 rigs in here staying for a lengthy period. Everyone is friendly and jovial.

JAN 19, Monday, Exploring

A cloudy day but the sun did come out in the afternoon. We went to the village of San Blas, approx 30 thousand people. We visited the old Spanish fort built in the 1600-1700 which they are in the process of repairing. It was interesting and because it was built on a bluff, we had a wonderful view of the village and the surroundings. We had an lady, Rosa, who gave us an impromptu visit and showed us carving we properly would have missed. She was quite neat and we gave 25 pesos at the end which pleased her. San Blas was a major departure point to explore north to California and other points. The French tried to take possession but were defeated. This was also where the original San Blas was located before moving int o the valley below. We drove down to the square centre and walked around. We looked at the market, and old church from the 1800’s then went for lunch at McDonald restaurant (Not the golden M), very popular with the gringos and they make excellent burgers

In the afternoon, we all went for a swim. The waves were bigger which made it fun. I almost lost my bathing suits to the delight of the girls around. Needless to say, I got teased at the happy hour. I finally got my satellite working, thanks to Mac so we now have news from home

JAN 20, Tuesday, Kayaking day

Cloudy and humid today. Eight of us (Charlene, Lynden, Walt, Marlene, Leo and Lynn) went kayaking today to a river about 20 miles from here on the way to Puerto Vallarta. We actually had to use the 4X4 on the truck to get in (we were with the Kirkby’s). We kayaked up the river amongst the mangrove and we saw lot of birds but no crocodiles. There were about 6 or 7 fishermen working their nets on the river but it seemed a slow day. We paddled for about 2 miles to this delta and had lunch there then returned. It was a lazy paddle and the breeze made it comfortable.
We drove back to our camp, had happy hour after washing the equipment and showering then had dinner. L & C came over for a nightcap and discuss future plans.
always seems to cool off in the evening so we can sleep without any problems.


No comments: