About Me

Lee Creek, North Shuswap near Chase, B.C, Canada
We went full-time Rving in October of 2005! We retired from full time to part-time as of the end of 2015. Our present "small but comfortable" Wagon is a 2008 Camper trailer(TravelAir Rustler), pulled by a 2008 Dodge Dakota, 4X4.l. Our home is now a Gated Community Park, in Oliver, British-Columbia, Canada. I retired in 2005 and my Life Companion, Valerie, retired October 1, 2006 from nursing. We invite you to follow and share our new adventures and mishaps. Life is but an adventure full of dreams yet to be fulfilled!

Thursday, February 07, 2008

February 5 and 6, crossing borders

FEB.  5,  Tuesday, Crossing into the U.S.A.
 
It is 6:30 a.m. and I am wide awake.  This is our last few hours in Baja, Mexico.  I am sitting here with my coffee feeling nostalgic as our trip is coming to an end.  I thought I would put some thoughts together of our trip. 
Would I come back down here?......I think so.  I found that knowing the road coming back north helped.  When I think of it, there was only one or two sections that were really tight, the road to Catavina from El Rosario; the highway section from Bahia de L.A. junction to Jesus Maria and the Gigante Mountain pass south of Loreto.  The highway was paved and smooth except for a couple places near little villages.  I would definitely not go back to Cabo.  Too busy and crazy and I don't think the campgrounds will be there in a couple of years.  We did LOVE the beaches though!  Our favourite area was definitely Mulege and the Bahia de Concepcion.  Beautiful beaches and south far enough to have good temperature.  I would also buy a generator and make sure I bring my solar panel this time!!!  I love the people in Mulege and the relax life style of the Baja.  I found the people friendly and willing to help.  I would definitely like to learn to speak Spanish more as it was a hindrance at times.  Maybe one day we will be back!?  Those are my thoughts and Val shares them with me.  (she has no choice....smile) 
Now we are looking forward to our time in San Carlos, mainland Mexico.
 
We left around 9:30 a.m., and headed north on Mex 3.  The road is very hilly and rough at lots of spots.  We climbed to 2500 feet.  Went through another Military check-point ( the last one) and this time they wanted to check out the inside of the rig.  the soldier was impressed with our three gauge thermometer and asked me questions but I couldn't understand what he was asking so they waved us on.  Really silly, when you think about it!?  Anyway, we carried on and finally arrived at Tecate and the border around 11:30  a.m.   We topped up on fuel: 40.2Litres.  They have re-routed the road to the U.S. but it was well marked.  We had about a half hour wait to cross then we were checked for meat, fruits and produce.  They took away our cooked ham but left the pastrami, go figure.
We got on Hwy 94 in the U.S. and drove to Campo where we stopped for lunch.  Had a burger and carried on.  Climbed to 3500 feet, the highway is very scenic.  We finally connected with I-8 and headed east and began our descend to minus 114 feet, yes minus!!! The mountains are full of big boulder.  It looks really eerie, like a moonscape.  Into the desert again and the temperature when up to 62*F from 54*F at the top.  We turned north on hwy 111 at El Centro and stopped for some groceries and milk in Calipatria.  Arrived at our last campsite before Indio named "Oasis RV and Trailer Park".  A bit run down but we have power and water, all for $20.
 
We drove a total of 269 KM today in 6 hours.  Average speed of 39 mph with a top speed of 60 mph
N 22* 14' 36"             W 115* 31' 03"
Altitude: minus 114 feet
 
 
FEB.  6, Wednesday, to Indian Waters RV Park in Indio
 
Got up at 7 a.m. to minus 2*C (26*F)  Bloody cold!!!!!!  It is sunny and will warm up fast.
On the road by 09:30 and arrived at Indian Water by 11:30 a.m.  Checked in, paid $32 for 4 nights and set up.  Even got the satellite hooked-up.
We went for groceries shopping at Costco and Wal-Mart then drove over to see Sid and Vera but they weren't home so left a note.  (She called later and we made arrangements for mayana.  Fuelled at a Chevron, 21.073 gallons at $3.559/gal  Welcome back!!!
 
N 33* 42' 25"                W 116* 12' 52"
Alt: sea level
Distance today 92 km at an average speed of 49 mph and a top speed of 59 mph
 
Life is but a journey filled with adventures

No comments: